This is for all the ladies out there that think weight lifting is going to make you look like He-Man. Muscle is muscle no matter if you are man or woman. We train it and it adapts. We become stronger, more powerful, leaner, and rip fat off our bodies.
We want to to be happy, healthy, and sexy no matter if we are male or female the truth is that the fitness industry is filled with hundreds of thousands of liars. You may recall the following lies from your own experiences at local gyms or out in the world.
1. Cardio is the best way to lose weight
2. Skinny means healthy
3. You have to starve yourself to lose weight
4. Weights are for guys and will make you look manly
5. Going to the gym will change your life
It seems that every day someone else is coming out with a new lie about health, fitness, or wellness. My goal is to RIP every single liar out of the industry and speak massive TRUTH about why you can live your high performance lifestyle forever. So let’t get to it.
1. Cardio IS a great way to condition your body, when used correctly in a total body conditioning program. This does not mean going directly to your favorite treadmill, flipping on Brittany or Kesha and going for a walk or jog. If cardio is going to be your method to workout you have to do one thing to get results, CRUSH IT! That simply means high intensity interval training. NONE of this slow long duration stuff. That should have no purpose in anyone’s life, unless they just like it.
2, Skinny does not mean healthy and fat does not mean unhealthy. It all depends on your body’s makeup. That is why any doctor or individual that tells you that your BMI is horrible should be slapped. In all honesty I am not superman or anything, but I am what you would call “athletic.” My BMI ranks me as deadly obese. It does not account for what percent of your body is muscle and what percent is fat. You could also look at it from the standpoint of an Aids patient. More than half of them don’t know they are sick and looking at them we wouldn’t know the difference. The key is to be STRONG and healthy, never skinny.
3. Starving yourself to lose weight will make you lose weight, but that is exactly it. You will lose weight. You will not lose fat. It will be a combination or muscle and fat. Losing muscle will slow your metabolism down and bring chaos to your body. We have to fuel our bodies like the Ferrari that they are. Each and every one of you is a fine tuned machine that needs to run as efficiently and effectively as possible. We have to jack up the frequency we eat and decrease the volume we take in, if our goal is fat-loss. If we are looking to put on considerable amounts of weight from lean muscle we have to apply those same principles while adding significantly more calories to our diet.
4. Sure lifting weights will make all the ladies look like He-Man and his crew! NOT! We need to rip that lie completely out of the profession. Yes ladies can, will, and should lift heavy weights to get healthier and stronger. Will they turn into Wolverine from X-Men and be super jacked and hairy? Not. A. Chance. Women’s bodies are drenched in this hormone called estrogen, while men’s bodies are flooded with testosterone. That is the single biggest reason why men are jacked and huge while women are not. The ONLY way a woman would ever look like He-Man is if she got all super jacked up on steroids.
5. Going to the gym will not do anything for you! Taking small action steps will change your life, but going to Zumba twice a week won’t do ANYTHING other than make you think you are doing something. So many people go to these glorified cardio classes thinking that they will change everything. Whether you are doing classes, weights, or just busting it. Make sure you are getting it done, not just going through the motions.